What is New York-style Pizza?
NY-style pizza has a crisp, stone-baked Neapolitan crust (as in from Naples, Italy), slices so large it’s customary to fold them down the middle to eat, and a variety of authentic toppings adapted from the kitchens of Italian grandmothers everywhere.
Still not sure what makes pizza New York-style? Here’s a quick lesson:
- A cheese pizza with fried eggplant slices on top IS NY-style.
- A classic “white” pie with ricotta and olive oil IS NY-style.
- A flabby pepperoni and mush (room) delivered by [insert favorite chain here] is NOT NY-style.
- A wood-fired gourmet extravaganza of lamb, cilantro and chévre may be delicious, but it’s NOT NY-style either.
- And barbecue chicken kimchi pizza? We’re not even going to go there…
Home Slice Pizza was created by three great friends — married couple Jen and Joseph Strickland and partner Terri Hannifin Buis — with a passion for food and hospitality and a vision for an Austin institution based on the original, unfailing goodness of authentic NY-style pizza; No compromise. The dine-in side of Home Slice was opened in November, 2005 and followed with More Home Slice, the takeout and slice operation across the parking lot in 2010. Our third location in Austin, on North Loop & Duval, opened in 2018.